Sunday, February 28, 2010

Catching up with Shaun White

By TFK Kid Reporter Brennan LaBrie
February 22, 2010

TIME For Kids talks to Shaun White, snowboarder and Olympic gold-medal winner

TFK:
What goes through your mind before a competition?

WHITE:
I usually think about the trick that gives me trouble. I try to get into the zone, into a good state where I feel confident. I really feel that succeeding in the sport mostly depends on your mindset. If you tell yourself that you're going to do all of your tricks perfectly, your chances of winning are much better.

TFK:
Do you have any rituals that you do for good luck before you compete?

WHITE:
One year I bought an awesome T-shirt at an Ozzy Osborne concert. It was my favorite. I wore it under my jacket and started winning competition after competition. I had to have that shirt on for every competition that whole year, and it turned out to be the best season of my career. This year, I ate steak before each competition.

TFK:
What do you love best about your sport?

WHITE:
I think my favorite part is that I'm not told what to practice—it's all up to me. I'm really only as good as I want to be. I have the opportunity to be the best snowboarder in the world or just an alright one. I love that about the sport. You're able to dig deep and see what you can do.

(Read More)

No comments:

Post a Comment